Ellerslie Cricket Club Junior Girls Squad 2013/2014
Ellerslie Cricket Club runs a popular Junior cricket programme across all year groups from the age of 5. Our Junior Girls Co-Ordinator David Woolford runs our Junior Girls programme in conjunction with coaching staff from the Club and our Junior Convenor, Shane Wilson.
Our philosophy is simple. We are a community and family orientated cricket club and exist to nurture and support our members to achieve their potential. We focus on both their personal and playing development and in turn we hope that our members will remain loyal to our Club and support the Ellerslie community.
Girls can join our cricket programme at any age and will receive training and support suitable for their skills and experience.
There are many benefits to joining the Ellerslie Cricket Club Junior Girls Programme including:
- It helps improve speed, agility, flexibility and sharpens reflexes
- It increases concentration and the ability to think tactically and strategically
- Girls learn how to be part of a team
- They meet, engage and become friends with girls from other schools in the area
- It develops great hand/eye co-ordination and skills
- It develops faster decision making
- It promotes sportsmanship and fair play
- Girls learn self control, respect for others and develop integrity
- They become part of the Ellerslie Cricket Community
OUR COACHING PHILOSOPHY
We follow the Auckland Cricket Association’s Coaching Philosophy which has an athlete centred approach.
‘As coaches, we are there for our players. We strive to take an athlete-centered approach to coaching where the needs of each athlete come first. As such the environment we create:
- Is challenging and fun
- Is safe and encourages a sense of belonging
- Encourages excellence in performance
- Fosters participation, skill development and teamwork
- Develops well-rounded individuals who are confident, creative, accountable, set personal goals and are good decision-makers
- Emphasises fair play and upholds the ‘Spirit of Cricket’
The Spirit of Cricket represents the positive benefits of playing by the rules, using common sense and respecting fellow players, coaches, umpires, opponents and supporters.’
Girls can either join the Ellerslie Cricket Club individually or as part of a school team. We operate a School Programme for Girls and any school wishing to formalise a cricket programme under their banner should contact our Club Manager, Corey Parr-Thomson email@example.com.
PLAYING PATHWAY FOR GIRLS
Junior Skills Programme Year 0 – 2
Girls and boys from Year 0 to 2 can join our Junior Skills Programme which is run on a Friday night at Michaels Avenue Reserve from 5.00pm to 6:30pm. The emphasis for this age group is fun activity in a controlled environment. This Grade is run as a skills session for the first hour where the players rotate between skills stations. At each station, players learn different aspects of the game from qualified coaches/senior players – batting, bowling and fielding techniques. During the second hour they play modified games sessions.
All equipment is provided by the Club. The skills sessions and games are played with a soft ball, plastic bats and plastic wickets. Pads are not required.
The season runs from Friday 1st November, taking a break over the summer holidays and then continuing through to the end of March. Our Nursery Grade subscription is just $100 for the full season, with family discounts offered.
The Under 11 grade has undergone more than a naming change (previously known as U10), for this coming season. There are now two Saturday grades.
- For the Saturday ‘Pink’ grade, the girls play in a 20 Over, 8-a-side competition with a hardball. Games start at 9:30 and run until 12. This is a 16-week competition that runs either side of Christmas, with playing dates to be confirmed for the 2019/20 season.
- For the Saturday ‘Soft Ball Sixers’ grade, the girls play in a 12 Over, 6-a-side competition with a softball. Games start at 8am and run until 9:20. This is a 16-week competition that runs either side of Christmas, with playing dates to be confirmed for the 2019/20 season.
The Under 13 grade has gone through similar changes to the Under 11 grade. This season, the following grades are offered:
- Saturday T20 ‘Pink’ – 20 Overs, 9-a-side, played on Saturday mornings, starting at 9:30 and finishing by 12. This is a 16-week competition that runs either side of Christmas, with playing dates to be confirmed for the 2019/20 season.
- Tuesday T20 ‘White’ – 20 Overs, 9-a-side, played on a Tuesday evening. This is a 16-week competition that runs either side of Christmas, with playing dates to be confirmed for the 2019/20 season.
Players are expected to practice once a week at Michael’s Ave, on Monday afternoons from 4.30 – 5.45pm.
In the future the Ellerslie Cricket Club hopes to be able to offer teams in the Under 16, Women’s Open and Women’s Premier grades. A full run down of the grades offered by ACA for Women and Girls can be found here.
The season runs from late October, through to the end of March. Our Junior Girls subscription is just $105 for the season with family discounts available. There is a Junior Prizegiving ceremony at the end of the season where children also receive an official team photo.